Sunday 8 June 2008

Blue Foot: in memory

Blue Foot died today, aged just under three years. She was a chicken. Those who keep chickens will understand why we are sad.



She was so-called because her left leg was yellow, but her right leg was a slate blue colour. I got to know her well because she had a morbid fear of heights. I'm talking here of anything over five centimetres. Really. She would stand on the edge of the dog's basket, or a flower bed, and not know how to proceed. I would have to rescue her. We formed quite a relationship and she would indulge me by sitting on my lap and having a snooze.

Her fear was well-founded. When she and her five sisters arrived as young hens, the French peasant delivering them said we should clip their wings. French peasants are almost always right about these country things. Not on this occasion. He clipped their right wings quite radically. The result was that they were very unbalanced trying to flutter down from any height; Blue Foot seemed to lose her confidence more than the others, and was never the same.

Chickens are very individual. Blue Foot was a high status hen, probably at the top of the original six. But she was gentle and did not bully (as some will). Chickens have friendships. Giselle was her special friend and where one was, the other would usually be close.

Anyway, something went wrong. I found her on the floor of the chicken house one night. I left her there till morning so that she would not be disorientated. In the morning I could see from her posture and her immobility that she was injured, possibly a broken pelvis.

Now some chickens will attack a sick or injured fellow. A relatively new chicken, the inappropriately named White Angel, was indeed having a go. We took Blue Foot inside and considered our options. We know from experience that French vets won't treat chickens, at least not individually. This makes sense. The replacement cost of a chicken is a fraction of the cost of veterinarian treatment, so they just don't do it. Luckily our vet friend The Builder (I will call him that to protect the innocent) helped out and left me with a syringe and antibiotic. She stayed indoors until she was almost fully recovered. She rejoined the flock and all seemed fine, but may have fallen a second time, for after a couple of days she had a serious relapse with similar symptoms.

This was really touch-and-go. But, with with The Builder's help and several weeks of tlc she once again staged a recovery and was returned to the flock. After these absences, she and Giselle would invariably team up again. In the photo Blue Foot is on the left, Giselle on the right. This was taken just a few weeks ago during her recovery phase.



After about three weeks of normal behaviour she showed signs of weakness, but with no discernible cause. We had her back inside, but there was a steady decline. It became clear that she was likely to die this time; she soon was not able to eat, and after a while, not drink either. I would have euthanased her, but couldn't think of a non-violent way of doing this, and I didn't want her last seconds to be violent. The Builder I know would have been able to dispatch her without pain, but he was away. She was mostly unconscious during her last two days; I don't think she was suffering.

So this morning she finally stopped breathing and is buried under one of our apple trees.

This is written as a short tribute to her. I rather like the idea that, aided by industrious search robots, her name will live for some considerable time.

14 comments:

laurie said...

what a wonderful post. it reminds me of E.B. White's "death of a pig." do you know it?

Blue Foot will live on in the memories of those of us who read this post, as well.

Baino said...

Aww .. the loss of a pet is indeed sad. Hope Giselle isn't too lonely! I'm surprised French vets don't treat chickens? I once had to euthanase a sick mouse. It cost me $1.50 to purchase the mouse and $75 for the green dream!

Lane Mathias said...

She was a fine looking chicken. And a character:-)

All our animals are special but some are just really special. I hope Giselle is ok.

John said...

laurie - no, don't know it but will have a search. I like the idea of a bigger collective memory of BF.

baino, lane - Giselle seems fine, thanks. She did not obviously miss Blue Foot during her absences, but seemed pleased, always, to see her back again.

***Fotografia e Luz*** said...

First you wanted to say thanks for their passage through my blog, on its very like the history of Blue Foot and thought your blog very interesting return visit him

Jazz said...

First time over, I love this post.

MarmiteToasty said...

Your right...... those that have chickens 'know'.... I will be devastated when Janet or Mabel snuff it..... those that dont have pet chickens will think its right proper daft....

Great post......

x

Karen said...

Great picture. Funny how they worm their way into our hearts.

Our neighbours have chickens, but not nearly as attractive as Blue Foot was :o)

Karen said...

...just been checking out some of your other pictures - wonderful photography!

John said...

fotographia - nice to see you here.

jazz - welcome

marmite toastie - Blue Foot was in our first ever batch. I wouldn't have given the time of day to a chicken before. Now I'm a convert.

karen - thanks for your kind comments

GayƩ Terzioglu said...

I am sorry for your loss. When my dog died, some people said why are you so sad, she was only a dog... Some people don't understand the concept of family not necessarily consisting of humans and humans alone...
Lovely tribute to Blue Foot.
G

John said...

G - you are right. The way I see it is we all have souls or none of us do.

Dumdad said...

Great photo of the dog and the chickens. And a lovely tribute.

I would just like to voice my agreement with what you said in the comments:

"The way I see it is we all have souls or none of us do."

Hear, hear!

P.S. I "enjoyed" your inflation post; it's terrifying how one's little nest egg can be worth nothing overnight.

P.P.S. The knife debate: I'd forgotten until you mentioned it but as a wolf cub aged about 9 I carried a knife in a sheath; it had a six-inch blade. Most kids had penknives. Flick knives were known to be menacing but knife crime was relatively small. Or has memory played tricks?

John said...

dumdad, welcome and thank you for your comments.

On knives - in the UK all the emphasis seems to be to stop access to knives. I think your recollection is spot on; we all had knives but did not commit crimes with them. Therefore access is not really the issue. Look deeper Gordon.