Thursday 10 July 2008

Is this a good day to die?

You can tell the sort of mood I'm in; no actually I'm not depressed, just reflective. And my reflections take me down this path, wondering if I'm lucky or unlucky. I feel that the universe has had a number of attempts at ending my existence (unlucky) but I've survived them (lucky). I wonder if you have ever had similar thoughts?

Here is the chronology:

2 years: my devoted but demented mother used to rub Vicks on my chest when I was little. She sometimes gave me a little to taste (why mum?). When I was left alone with the jar, I ate the entire contents. Severity unknown, but I turned blue so that suggests thoracic or cardiac distress.

4 years: I am reminded by my daughter (see comment 2) of the following. On board ship, passage from India, I was sucking on a boiled sweet. For some reason I inhaled it and it completely blocked my trachea. So I probably had 30 seconds of consciousness ahead of me and 3 minutes to live. I remember running somewhere, anywhere, and ran slap bang into my mother's legs. In a rare display of comprehension and intelligence she grabbed me by the ankles and shook. The sweet popped out. Oh, the freedom to breathe; I remember it still. Threat level, severe.

14 years: Forgot this one, first time through. There was a cobra at the side of the path; I didn't see it and walked past. It struck out at me; its head hit the ground with an audible thud just behind my ankle. The venom is a neurotoxin, and a full dose will kill about 75% of its victims. It gave me a bit of an adrenalin high, but I always liked snakes and still do. Threat level, moderate.

18 years: was doing geological exploration. I and four others were invited down a small platinum mine. It was about 4pm. We were told to get out before 5 because some blasting was scheduled and we would be asphyxiated if we didn't. We descended in a tiny cage, three in it, and two standing on top (yes, Health and Safety was but a gleam in its mother's eye in those days). We had a poke around and got back into or onto the cage to go back up, just before 5pm. Our cage went up about a foot and stopped. Then the cable slowly unwound. I was in the cage and the unwinding meant that we were now below the tunnel level and could not open the cage door anymore. Hmmm. I looked down. The beam from my miner's helmet reflected back at me, from just a few feet down. Fuck. The mine was flooded below our level, and we were still unwinding. And we began to smell cordite. Double fuck. Then we realised why we had stopped. The mine had it's own generator, and it had shut down at 5pm, no one remembering, apparently, that we were still down there. Triple fuck. But, hooray, at 5 past, someone did remember we were down there and they re-started the generator. Threat level, severe.

18 years: Same job actually, front wheel detached from my vehicle which turned over. No seat belts in those days, several bad injuries. Threat level, moderate.

22 years: Another rollover, not driving this time, various injuries including fractured skull, broken femur, and a lost eye. But not me. Threat level, moderate.

23 years: Kidney operation to correct a narrowing of the ureter. Operated on by two arseholes. Yes, really, I kid you not. One was struck off the register for drinking on the job (almost certainly the case with me), the other later committed suicide just before his nieces blew the whistle on his pedophilia. Anyway, to cut the long hacking short, they managed to put a scalpel up through my diaphragm so my lung collapsed - but didn't notice, of course. Luckily some random doctor walking through recovery saw how blue I was and did the necessary. But I lost the kidney. Threat level, severe.

49 years: Flying incident. My flying buddy checked the fuel and declared it OK. I should have but didn't. One tank gave out, switched over, then the other went dry. It goes very quiet when you run out of fuel at 3,000 feet. The nearest airfield was withing gliding distance; so glided in and did a good landing. Threat level, moderate.

52 years: More flying. Landed on an airstrip having descended through cloud at freezing temperatures. I had picked up ice under the wings, but my pre-takeoff inspection did not show this. Now you may not know it, but tiny amounts of freezing, even frost itself, will completely change the aerodynamics of an aircraft. Started the takeoff roll, and the effing thing would not lift. Planes are not like cars. At a certain point, and I was beyond it, you have to commit to takeoff. You really can't stop in the distance anymore. So faster and faster, less and less airfield, the sheep in front of me shitting themselves more and more (as I nearly was) when I dragged the bloody thing into the air. I didn't hit any sheep, but I reckon I sheared a few. It stayed about 10 feet up and just wouldn't go higher until there was enough airspeed to shed the ice. Threat level, bloody awful.

57 years: Took the train from London to Cambridge, well it should have been Cambridge, but it didn't get further than Potters Bar. Yes, *the* Potters Bar, the rail accident that killed 7 and injured 80. I walked away. Threat level, severe.

I think that's about it. Have a good day.

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. A few near misses, but you obviously weren't meant to die.

I have sometimes thought about how many of us would still be here had we been born 100 yrs ago. I certainly wouldn't (scarlet fever aged 5).

But apart from 2 planes I've been flying in being hit by lightening (I know planes can cope - but it wasn't much fun) I don't think I have been as close as you. Maybe I need to get out more!

Christine said...

Hello Papa, I don't think you ever told me about the time you ran out of fuel- was I in the plane?
In your list of near-death experiences you forgot the one on the ship from India when you choked on the sweet and your mother had to hold you upside-down and shake you. Or maybe you felt you already had enough? ;)

John said...

mud - if it's working for you, stay in!

clh2012 - thanks m'dear, edited. And no, it was not you it was Phil Miles, yes Phil, you, you arse.

Dumdad said...

Remind me never to travel with you!

John said...

dumdad, you have a point. I didn't realise how many of them involve transport.

aims said...

OMG! You are like a walking lightning rod with a sign that says 'strike here please'.

Jesus Man! I can't believe how many times you got lucky!

As for the snake...I would have died anyway from complete terror.

btw - I've come here from Lane's Write and I came the other day from 3 dog blog....man - you're getting approval from some of the best!

John said...

aims, thanks for your kind words; also nice that bloggers I respect find some merit in what I do.

Working Mum said...

OMG! Are you lucky or unlucky? Who has that many scrapes in a lifetime?

Makes my biking incident in Majorca, being trapped under a dinghy in riptides and 20 hour labour resulting in emergency surgery with huge loss of blood seem like mere blips in my boring existence!

MYM said...

Note to self ... never travel anywhere with you. ;)

Wow - I've only had 1 close call, a few years back I was hit by a drunk driver on the highway. Both cars were totaled but miraculously no one was seriously injured.

John said...

Now hang on working mum - don't like the sound of any of those, in particular being trapped under a dingy. Panic!

drowsey - one close call that goes wrong is all it takes alas.

Gone Back South said...

Holy cow. You've had more scrapes than a car windscreen in the middle of a snowstorm. I think you are both unlucky and lucky ... and you must make the most of every day.

Baino said...

Clearly the odds are with you now! I live in fear, never come close to any disasters and only had surgery twice . . both successful and painless .. m mm I guess that means the odds are against ME! *panic*

Niall & Gaye said...

I have never been involved in a hugely life threatening event myself. Closest I ever got probably was our taxi on my birthday, just starting to move after the light and got hit from my side of the vehicle by someone who was able to slow down enough so it was more like a little "ping" than a big bad boom bang! Still, adrenalin was still pumping an hour later. That's my entire near-death hall of fame. How boring... pffrt.

John said...

gonebacksouth - in a nutshell, make the most of every day. Good advice for us all.

baino - they say the past is the best predictor of the future. On that basis, you are going to be just fine.

G - for some things, it is *very* good to be boring.

Karen said...

Blimey I had to read that twice. Not because I'm stupid but because it was so interesting. Are you a cat? Actually, you appear to have had more than nine lives.

I've had a couple of near misses (car accident and a brush with serious illness)but nothing on that scale. Then again, I lead quite a boring life!

GayƩ Terzioglu said...

Ohh! I forgot to mention with my very own brush with serious injury when I microwaved an egg... In its shell...
I took it out, poked it because it had funny cracks, looking like a baloon and BAM! It exploded. Bits of egg stuck on my face, burned it but luckily no scar was left. Now THAT was scary.
G
PS: Why did I microwave an egg in its shell? I was a drunken student who wanted to test the theory.

John said...

karen - one of the reasons I did the post was because I thought I had had quite a lot of close calls, but wasn't sure how unusual this was. From the responses it looks like I may have had more than my fair share.

G - I was a drunken student once, but I never did that!

laurie said...

um... yes, i'd say you've had more than your fair share of close calls.

i went down the basement stairs in my stroller at age 1, but all i did was knock out whatever teeth were coming in.

i locked my brother in a trunk a couple of years later but fortunately my mother asked where he was. (I said, "in the trunk," and walked on by.) close call for him, not me.

and i've been kayaking without knowing how to roll a kayak, and rock climbing without a rope...

but yours take the cake, Mr. Swan.

John said...

laurie - those strollers are kinda dangerous around stairs. No fun to knock teeth out, milk or otherwise.

And Mr Swan is growing on me; pity I can't be both.

Georgina said...

Paaah - that's nothing. When I was a kid in Africa I was riding my pony out in the bush one day when a Mau Mau terrorist leaped out of the bushes wielding a panga (machete). He cut my pony's head off with one swipe, then went for me, but fortunately the pony fell on top of him and killed him outright. I ran off frightened into the bushes, where I stumbled on a lioness, who grapbbed me by the head. Luckily I was still wearing my riding hat, so not too much damage was done. Even more luckily a game ranger just happened to be passing and he shot the lioness dead. He then gave me a lift home in his Land Rover, but just near my house a fully laden native bus collided with us, killing the game ranger outright. I had to be cut free of the wreckage and was helicoptered to hospital. Unfortunately the pilot failed to see an electricity pylon as he came into land at the hosital and the helicopter exploded in a mass of flames, killing everyone except me. I was rushed into the emergency room, which was in the basement. Very fortunate, as that evening a massive earthquake hit Nairobi and the entire hospital collapsed. I was dug out four days later. Amazingly after all those mishaps the only lasting damage was a bruised ego. Since then my life has been unbelievably dull....

bobobob

John said...

bobobob - whatever you're on, I want some, right now.

Milla said...

that was great, E, just great, and told just as you lie in the grass. very sublime.

John said...

Thanks milla - actually your comment was rather sublime. What's the imagery? I'm lying on my back in the grass, chewing a straw, reflecting?