Thursday 3 July 2008

A gathering

My niece died recently - unexpectedly but of natural causes. She had lived in a commune in the Black Mountains in France, and though she had moved out to take a job in Toulouse, she went back most weekends.

It was on one of these weekend visits that she died. Her two sons, now 17 and 20 had been in part raised in the commune, and the older still lives there. The community and the boys organised the funeral.

I don't really want to write about the funeral. Like most it had both tragic and uplifting elements. But I would like to write a bit about the community, which I found very interesting.

I knew that Jane lived in some sort of community, but that's about it. In the absence of other information, I assumed a gathering of hippie dropouts. I'm afraid I haven't seen her for years, which is a point of sadness, and so had no detailed knowledge of her circumstances.

In the event I have come away deeply impressed by a very nice group of people, and reminded that simple things can be very satisfying.

Turns out that the original group all met through Shintaido, "an avant-guarde martial art with the emphasis of self-development and life expression". One of them found the property - an abandoned school with with lots of land and surrounding woods - and they moved in. It's quite a big group now; I was told there are 40 children, most of them educated there. Though it's a closely knit community, it's not communal living. They have houses or apartments created out of the school buildings.

The exception to this was the older boys (up to about 20 years or so). They had a kind of lodge in part of the old farm house. In this they had bedrooms, a communal kitchen with a long wooden table, and even a little movie theatre complete with video projector. They had done most of the construction work themselves with adult supervision and expertise as needed. The passing on of artisan skills seems to be an explicit part of the lifestyle.

I noted bucket and mop and also a vacuum cleaner, and the place was spotless. The lads were charming and polite. In case you think I stumbled into some sort of alternative universe there was much evidence of computer games with large screens everywhere.

I travelled down with my sister (Jane's mother), and my two daughters. The community said they could put us up, but I had no clear idea about the arrangements. In the event we were accommodated in the old school building in basic, but perfectly adequate rooms. The toilet was one of those old French ones, where you have a well-founded fear of putting a foot wrong. And not the kind of place you would want to read the Sunday papers in.

We arrived fairly late, and while we had a bit of food for the journey, we did not have enough for self-catering. No problem. Some boxes of pasta were produced, and this, when cooked, sprinkled with olive oil and some grated Parmesan cheese, with a bit of lettuce and pate on the side, made for a simple, but delicious meal. And, I should add, washed down with my own rough, but very ready wine.

Later we repaired to an inglenook fireplace, where we sat and chatted, drinking ash tea (more on this later) and the local firewater. I was told what this was made from, but the memory is a shade hazy.

The next day I met a few more of the people and tried to find out what people in the community did. It seems a few commute to outside day jobs, but many seem to earn their living applying artisan skills. They like traditional ways of doing things - I really have the impression that this is a bit of a national characteristic - and what I saw was impressive.


Here, for example are two end pieces, to hold up a very thick and heavy table.


Plus some other pieces - not sure what to make of the fire-breathing angel! (Well worth a click for a larger view).

They build with wood too, and use one of those sawing pits to slice along logs. You may know the kind of thing. Someone stands on top holding one end of a long saw, the other is in the pit holding the other end. They push and pull between them. Hard work, but a good alternative to a saw mill.

Jane shared the responsibilities of a small flock of sheep with two other 'shepherdesses who live at the commune; it was clear that she was well known and liked there. Her ashes were scattered in the woods on their property, just a short walk away. All the adults attended, and her friends left touching mementos at the base of a tree, flowers mostly, but a shepherd's staff, some bread in the shape of a heart, and a soft toy. I really can't imagin anything nicer or more appropriate.

------------------------

I mentioned ash tea, made from the leaves of the Ash tree. Identify it here. I haven't had this before, but we all found it delicious and refreshing. Very simple. Just gather some sprigs or small branches with ash leaves, hang with the leaves pointing downward until they are dry, then crush and use as you would tea. Probably best drunk without milk or sugar. I was told it help me live a long time. Recommended anyway.

We were also served a fermented drink made from ash leaves. Very nice indeed. I was going to post the recipe, but I find that my daughter has dissappeared to Paris with it, so that will have to wait.

13 comments:

GayƩ Terzioglu said...

First of all Ernest, I am sorry for your loss. I am also sorry that you have not been able to be in touch with your niece for years, from what you described "I" would have loved to meet her and her friends there.

I trained in Hapkido for years, no such avantgarde-ness but martial arts training for self-defence. Shintaido I recognise AI as in aikido, and "do" of course meaning the way. Without googling it first, I am assuming it is Japanese. But the way of living you are describing sounds so much the "druid" way of living, simple, in tune with nature. Do they still train in the martial art aspect? Or is it just the way of life now?
Very curious. Very interesting.
Thank you for sharing, the story and the photographs.
G

Baino said...

Sorry too for you loss Ernest but a wonderful story and lovely tribute to her memory. Fantastic arty stuff but a little chunky for my taste. Somehow I like the idea of living in a community as long as we could be self sufficient. I've always lived with lots of people and the thought of being on my own in a few years is rather daunting. Maybe I should start my own in the Hunter Valley (wine district in NSW) . . .I remember a latrine like that in Yvoire a few years ago, Clare went into this public loo and came out shocked asking where had the toilet gone! She was horrified when I told her it was actully that hole in the floor!

GayƩ Terzioglu said...

I was told that in the countries where toilet is a hole on the floor and two feet rests in front of and to the sides of it have less cases of bowel cancer and other bowel related issues.
Also, a lot of my clients (people with disabilities) have constipation due to their medications, so when they sit on the normal toilet seat they have serious issues, when we put something under their feet to raise their legs up some, it becomes much easier. I won't get into detail but what seems to be utterly unhealthy is actually very good for the body.
That's all I have to say about those toilets. :)
Gx

John said...

G - I liked these people. They were in touch with nature and into working with their hands. I didn't see anyone doing martial arts; I suspect it is more a way of life now.

baino - the folks there did seem to get on with each other, and ready to share in communal tasks as well as doing their own thing. I suspect that my niece was the first of their community to die, and it was most impressive to feel their collective regard and respect towards her memory. It certainly did feel like a viable alternative to being on one's own, the fate of many of the rest of us I fear.

G - on toilets, yes I have heard that such toilets are actually good for you. I must admit, ahem, that it worked for me. 'Nuff said.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

hugs and I am sorry to learn of your loss - I hope your nephews are bearing up alright. since they are relatively young, your niece must have also been.

I enjoyed reading about this community - I have always been drawn to the concept of living in such a 'community' arrangement as that you described -least on the surface - not commune, but one where there is more shared living than one finds/experiences in 'normal' everyday communities/neighborhoods.

John said...

mouse - thank you very much. Yes, I guess 'shared living' is close. What I liked is that for any task that you could not complete on your own, you could count on the help of others. And in turn you would reciprocate.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Ernest, but it sounds like you had a wonderful experience discovering a little about your niece's life, the place where she lived and the people who made up her life.
The commune sounds like a remarkable place and the artistic creativity is certainly wonderful. I do like that fire breathing angel!
Thanks for sharing.

John said...

Hi AV, and thanks. That angel really was something. I'm kicking myself for not taking a few more images!

Milla said...

wow, have been out of blogland a while and so many to catch up on. Lovely languid wise easy-going style you have - quite made me forget me commas!

John said...

milla - you are too generous, but thank you! BTW I tagged you; if you go in for that sort of thing have a look at The God Diaries.

Anonymous said...

I am sorry for your loss. It woudl be hard to loose a parent at that age, but it sounds as though the community is a wonderfully supportive environment to be in whilst grieving.

The wood working skills look fantastic. I ahve such respect for people who can make beautiful things. Not my forte!

Karen said...

What a lovely tribute.

I don't remember there being a sense of community anywhere I've ever lived, which is a great shame. Maybe you need a crisis for such shenannigans.

Lovely woodwork, and I like the sound of the ash tea :o)

John said...

hi mud, nice to see you. And thanks. Thought you liked getting your hands dirty??

karen, thanks too. Really nice folk. I had a couple of images that were so touching, but I just felt I could not publish them.