Thursday 28 August 2008

Why did the chickens climb the stairs?

No, not a joke or a riddle. A genuine question.

We have six new chicks, who have been with us from 3 weeks old. They are the replacements for several of our adult chickens who, for all sorts of reasons including hideous bad luck, have died. Some of you will have read about Blue Foot. Her demise was followed, not long after, by her friend Giselle who suffered from health complications too.

The newcomers are getting towards full size, but are still babies really, you can tell that from their tiny little serrated combs. They often seem to behave like one composite creature, perhaps the result of imprinting on each other?

They are surprisingly dear and entertaining.

Anyway, here are the stairs. There are 32 of them, in three flights, and I would have thought that each step would present a bit of a challenge.



Here is the view down the stairs, so we are talking "high" here. And trust me, chickens do not fly.



And here are the six babies who have twice now decided, for reasons I cannot fathom, that up the stairs they will go and then have a preen and a rest.



You've got to ask yourself "Who the heck had this strange idea?" and you also have to ask "And why did anyone listen to you?"

10 comments:

DOT said...

I think the answer is obvious from your photo. Someone told them there is a great view from the top.

And I agree with you about chickens being entertaining - I love watching their social whirl. I have never heard such salacious gossip.

Anonymous said...

Because they're there. I do that. I think it is being contrary. And chickens are contrary!

John said...

dot - I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps it is a residual instinct left over from their flying days.

mud - I asked the chicks if they are contrary, and they asked me to tell you the contrary. I think that leaves me confused.

Unknown said...

Do you recall the rhyme, "I'm the king of the castle and you're the dirty rascal" - usually sung by the child standing in the highest place. So... what makes you think chickens are any different? :-)

John said...

av - there is something about you that makes me think you "know" chickens.

Lane Mathias said...

I would have to say the view too. That's a pretty good bird's eye from up there. And they can keep an eye on anyone relaxing at that table:-)

John said...

lane - hmmmm, shame I didn't get rid of the bucket and mop first in that case. Oh well.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

chicken ... sheep.... what is it with farm animals....

how fun to have a chickens to watch and be entertained by....

love the photos!

John said...

mouse - chickens are so much more fun than you would believe. And they are smart too - lot's of evidence of single trial learning.

Clare Wassermann said...

getting a deja vu duck feeling! JGYG x