Sunday 14 September 2008

Peeking beneath the Diary skirts

I am often asked: why the Diaries and where does the inspiration come from?

Well, to be more accurate, I am never asked, but I thought I'd attempt some kind of answer all the same.

My overarching ambition is to make sense of the universe. I know I won't, but the speculation is fun.

I think there are three big questions.

(1) Why is there anything at all? I don't think existence is inevitable, so why is it all here? And where did it come from? My own guess is that just as +1 and -1 add to nothing, so our universe has its negative mirror image which came into counterexistence just as ours did, so as to balance the books. And I suspect will both collapse back to zero together.

(2) Why is there consciousness? It is weird and not inevitable either, and not necessary for complicated life. For example, I don't really think that wasps are conscious, but they have pretty complicated lives. Nor is it confined to humans as anyone who has made eye contact with an animal will understand.

(3) Is there a God? I can answer this one at once. Of course not, at least not the God of the bible. If we can think it up, then it almost certainly does not exist. Haldane was right. The universe is not stranger than we know, it's stranger than we can know. Ergo, any God we can conceive of is plainly wrong.

I guess this is where the Diaries come from. What kind of entity might run the universe?

Well, problem the first is one that it is not of the universe. He (we'll stay with the masculine thingy) may have created the universe and everything in it, but (by all accounts) did not create himself at the same time. So he was "somewhere else" at the time the universe came into being. And when I say, came into being, I'm taking space and time too, not just matter. Now if he's not of this universe, that is, outside our spatial dimensions, and outside of our time, he's going to have a lot of problems interacting with it.

Let's get this straight; we're talking physics here. When the Red Sea parts, there's an awful lot of pressure on water molecules trying to establish their level again. If they don't then there is a counter force. Not a cosmic "Don't you dare, 'cos I say so". No, it takes the expenditure of energy, in this universe, to hold water back.

Then there's the whole problem of the consequences of intervention. I mean, you can pray that plate tectonics go on hold for a while, so you and your family don't get drowned in a tsunami. But think about the buckling of the Earth's mantle that happens elsewhere as a result, and the innocents who get killed there, so you do not.

No, there's not a sodding thing that God can do that won't have horrendous counterconsequences.

Which means that prayer must go unanswered (which, I suspect, is pretty well the experience of all of us).

Note that none of this is a disproof of God. He may well exist. I don't think so, but I'm not anti-religious. My father-in-law is a clergyman, so there. In fact, if you are determined to believe in an all-powerful entity you can't be proved wrong. The world and universe could easily have been created in the last millisecond, and we with all our memories with it (and the fossil record too etc etc).

But my goodness, why would anyone bother? And that is a good question. So we could praise Him? I think He should get a life.

The thing that always puzzles me is why people think that God is good. We might jolly well hope so, but where is the evidence? Take nature. I'm afraid the "All things bright and beautiful ..." model just doesn't hold water. The Victorian view of "Nature red in tooth and claw" has it about right. Fact is, it's pretty horrid. There is not a prey animal that dies of old age. Sooner or later it gets torn apart. There is not a predator that doesn't die of injury or starvation in it's turn.

Creationism? Intelligent design? Give me a break. For every intelligently designed butterfly there is an intelligently designed tape worm.

It is the appearance of design and order that has folk thinking about designers and, well, benign and wise fathers. Alas most people don't grasp how, with enough time, very improbable things can not only happen, but become inevitable.

Remember that thing about monkeys, typewriters, and the complete works of Shakespeare? Well, I've done the calculation. If we treat upper and lower case letters as different, we have 52 of those, plus some punctuation, let's call it 60 things for convenience.

OK, so how unlikely is it, selecting letters and punctuation at random, to come up with the four characters "The ". Well, the number is 60 raised to the power 4, which is just a whisker under 13 million to one or about the same as winning the UK National Lottery. Extend this to a five letter word plus space like "Hello " and the odds become 46 billion to one. So you can see that the complete works of Shakespeare are not going to pop out of the monkey factory overnight.

But factor in infinity. Prepare for strange things. For given infinity, not only has the complete works of Shakespeare actually been generated this way, it has been generated, wait for it, an infinite number of times.

As I understand it the universe is not actually infinite, but who knows? However, it has been around for a long time, and will be around for a long time yet. And that means that strange things can happen. For example, the dinosaurs vanished about 65 million years ago. If you had been around since then (not a long time in Earth terms) and bought a lottery ticket a week, as a lot of folk do, you would have won the lottery about 200 times by now.

Of course evolution is not random, though I'll skip the logic for that now. However, it is fed by small random mutations. That is where the argument about odds and time becomes important.

Anyway, after enough rambling to bore even me, my conclusions are these:

- We may have been created by God, but the chances are he is "hands off" and has to be.
- He is not hugely preoccupied by the thought of being praised by a bunch of naked apes who do, actually, not look at all like him.
- He is not hugely preoccupied by sin or virtue.
- Having created the universe and the laws that drive it, he just kind of lets it go, and maybe has a look now and then when bored out of his skull.
- He is more than a little paranoid, and often wonders about where the f*ck he comes from and wonders how many layers of deity exist above him and in what kind of infinite regress.

I'll leave you with this, which I think is fun, and should put us in our place:

From William Goodhart's play Generation:

The Soul of Man,
Despite his pride,
Is rather odd,
A toy balloon
Blown up by God,
Or, strictly speaking,
The air inside,
And that is leaking.

13 comments:

Baino said...

Boy someone's had a lot of thoughts running through their head! Maybe he's a sort of extraterrestrial blogger who did it for a few years and became bored with the repetetiveness. Let's face it, we're a load of trogladites trying to understand the inexplicable! Although I still have a sneaking suspician that I may call for a priest when on my death bed . . .just in case!

John said...

Ah baino, it's a sign of having too much time on my hands, although at the moment I have to tell you that exactly the reverse is true.

Priest at the death bed? You and many others (but I'm sitting on the fence).

DOT said...

I know you are more of a man of science than the humanities. I am the reverse.

I did an MA in Modern French Thought. One of the individuals I studied was the much misunderstood, in my estimation, Jacques Derrida.

Paraphrasing dangerously, while also making an absolute rule, something he would never have done, I understand Derrida to say that it is impossible for man to reach for an absolute, i.e. God, without, in the process of catching the truth, corrupting it. It is not, as some believe, that he said there was no such thing as an absolute truth, but one could only catch it out of the corner of the eye, like the flash of silver one sees as a fish jumps in the river. (Analogy courtesy of Professor Geoffrey Bennington, who was a close associate).

John said...

Interesting point, dot. I suspect that we cannot apprehend absolute truths because we simply don't have the right (or enough) brains. That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with us.

My dogs don't grasp thermodynamics, not because they are thick, but because dog brains don't do thermodynamics. I suspect our brains don't do the universe.

Lulu LaBonne said...

No priests are coming anywhere near me, nearly dead or not - Lovely poem Ernest.

Miranda said...

I dashed over here to tell you the mundane fact that I've figured out linking (which was almost as complicated as figuring out the universe. But with enough time I got it.) And then I read your wonderful brain fizzing post which has made my head buzz a little. Love it(the post. And the head buzzing come to think of it). It kinda sorta maybe links (ha!) in with mine today. Ish. One some plane or other....

Damn, I was going to show off my linking skills by linking every other word here to something but don't know how to in the comments section! Give me a little more time. Hopefully not infinity.

Millennium Housewife said...

Earnest, that was really interesting. I have come to see God as a universal force, neither for or against anything, s/he just is. Rather than all the bible talk of God creating man in his own image, I think man has created God in his own image; i.e vengeful (will wreak havoc if you don't live by his commands),irate (gets terribly cross with the smallest of annoyances), jealous (very jealous of other gods), War mongering (how many have been started because God sent a dream?), Heirarchical (the King/Queen is chosen by God apparently, unless of course He has made a mistake and then he sends a dream to wage war on the country where God sent the true King/Queen in order for them to ascend to their rightful place), inconsistent (it's a sin apparently to eat meat on fridays, years ago you would have gone to hell, but today it's just pergatory), etc, etc you get my drift.
It might be interesting to read How To Know God by Deepak Chopra, interesting concept on how as Man evolves both in conciousness and Emotional intelligence we create a God to suit our needs.
MH

Janelle said...

jassis you only mos clever hey? xx janelle oh and ps deepak chopra? DEEPAK CHOPRA? whoever still reads anything he has to say these days????

John said...

lulu - shame, they'll be standing in line.

miranda - safest buzz you'll get this side of the other side. And I *do* believe you about linking.

mh - good points; how about one of your famous lists "things I prayed about today" or "things I thought about saying to God today" ...

janelle - now where did you get such a fantastic South African accent? Been to Uni there?

Janelle said...

jurrah skattie i can sommer praat die taal hey...nah problem maa chaana. indeed i did. university of natal...x

John said...

j - lekker!

Karen said...

Bloody hell. These are the kind of questions that make my head (and heart) feel funny, but I find your conclusions strangely comforting.

John said...

karen - I'm not sure that I do; except we may well be better off with the deeply strange.