Monday 8 September 2008

Supper

I once had a book called "Food for Free". It is somewhere in our boxes, and I hope it will surface again one day. It lists things you can find and eat such as watercress, mushrooms and nuts. For free. An idea that I find attractive to this day.

You have to be careful though. For example you can get liver fluke from watercress if the stream flows through fields where sheep graze. And mushrooms scare a lot of people, for very good reasons. Some of them are absolutely lethal.

Here in France you can, in principle, take a fungus to your local pharmacy, and they will identify it for you and tell you if it is safe to eat. In principle. The last time I tried this the pharmacist turned to the only other customer in the shop and asked "Qu'en pensez-vous?" (What do you think?). Slightly defeated the purpose I decided, made my excuses and left.

That doesn't mean that I don't find and eat wild mushrooms. It just means that (a) I consult one (or more) of my four mushroom books and (b) I tend to go for things that are unmistakable.

Which leads me on to supper.

I was walking through the local woods when I found a beefsteak fungus. It is a bracket fungus and it looks like this:



It is called a beefsteak fungus because it looks remarkably like meat. When you cut it it even bleeds a bit. All this is rather disconcerting for a vegetarian, but anyway. I took one third of the fungus, thinking that I would in this manner not piss the fungus god too much, but on my way home I realised that, since the fungus is a parasite on the tree, I had probably displeased the tree god as well. Oh dear.

The photograph above is one I found on Google Images because I hadn't taken my camera with me. However the following is of the actual fungus and you can see (have a click) just how like meat it is.



That's a proper dinner plate, so you can see these things are big. I sliced it up ready to fry:



And fried it:



Delicious!

You will remember I like to go for fungi that are unmistakable? Well the clincher for beefsteak fungus is that it has a slight taste of lemon on the finish. Taste that, and you are home and dry.

In passing, another fungus that comes into the 'unmistakable' category is the unfortunately named "Trompette de la Mort" or Trumpet of Death. It is brown/grey/black and trumpet-shaped, so you can see the point. Still, I often feel that the poor thing could do with a better agent, since it too is delicious. Photo when Autumn arrives.

14 comments:

Miranda said...

wow. A hunter gatherer. That looks amazing! I jealous

tam said...

More just a gatherer than a hunter by the sounds of things. That's a pretty impressive beefy fungus you found there. There is soemthing very satisfying about harvesting wild food. yummy.

Lane Mathias said...

Gosh that really does look meaty - and delicious!

claires inner world said...

How strange - I was talking with my French teacher last night about collecting wild mushrooms. And now here's your blog on it!
That beefsteak one was a beauty. I wish the chemist here in the UK would identify mushrooms for you - somehow I don't think it's going to happen....!

Lulu LaBonne said...

Hello, I popped over after reading your bio on Behind the Mask, I wanted to tell you how sad and interesting I found it

John said...

miranda - you are right to be jealous, but I'm sure you have fungi there too? Safe ones?

tam - I know, it's that food for free thrill. Funny to think that was normal for our hunter/gatherer ancestors.

lane - it *is* meaty, and since I don't eat meat, it's all rather strange - but delicious.


claire - hi there, I think this may be your first time on my blog, so welcome. Just been over to see yours. Chemists here are in part an instrument of the state, so that's why they offer that service.

lulu - hello and welcome. Thank you for your kind words. I've nipped over to your blog to have a look; fascinating, especially the beetle thing! I shall read again when I have a moment.

Georgina said...

Yes there is something satisyfing about gathering food from the big outdoors and eating it straight away. I'm not as brave (foolhardy ?) as you with the fungi, but for the last few mornings the rain and colder weather have brought out loads of lovely little 'Rose' mushrooms on our meadows. Fried in butter with a bit of garlic and then served on home made toast with a dash of good old British 'Brown sauce'and a home-produced fried egg - yum yum.

Also a great crop of blackberries this year. Blackberry & apple crumble - nothing beats it....

bob

Akelamalu said...

WOW that certainly does look like meat! You're a braver man than I (I'm not a man but you know what I mean, the only thing I've picked and eaten myself are blackberries and raspberries.

You said you have chickens, how many and do they lay?

Janelle said...

tam, remember those mushrooms in the hogsback? "then you won't be laughing eh?" ernest! it looks YUMMY!!!!! so you're not just a clever good looking man then..you cook too!? wow. x janelle

John said...

bob - you said it. However, not brave or foolhardy, just a dilligent researcher.

akelamalu - we have nine chickens right now, three established ones and six new. They do lay, but the new ones won't start until maybe October this year. We're lucky, so ours can be genuinely free range, no fences or anything (other than a fence to keep them *out* of the veg garden).

ah janelle - I can own up to the cooking ...

Unknown said...

"the clincher for beefsteak fungus is that it has a slight taste of lemon on the finish. Taste that, and you are home and dry."

Ah yes, but what about the bits that you'd already swallowed only to find there was no lemony final taste - cough, gasp, choke... clunk. ???

Working Mum said...

Not sure I'm brave enough (or knowledgeable enough) to eat fungi from the woods. I stick to blackberries for my food for free.

John said...

av - why didn't I think of that?

wm - I'm not really that brave, which is why I stick to the ones that are *very* hard to get wrong. I've been tempted by some attractive fungi which I have later discovered come into the lethal category; so my caution was well founded (things like the accurately named 'Destroying Angel', one of the Amanitas)

mouse (aka kimy) said...

I do love all sorts of mushrooms, well not the lethal ones.... I admit to being a real scaredy cat when it comes to wild mushrooms. but while in france I always felt fine and felt folks there knew what whas good and what could kill you!

the first summer we lived in cleveland we heard news of a family being wiped out because they cooked and ate local mushrooms that looked just like the mushroom from their home country.... very tragic....

as you said it's important to be a diligent researcher!