Sunday 28 September 2008

On holiday with Stanley

So here's a strange associative chain, and it actually did happen as I describe it.

Catching up on a few of my favourite, and not so favourite blogs (yes, I do read some such, driven by a kind of perverse fascination) I reached this conclusion: some very good blogs, by my definition, have no awards, or just a few. Some of those in the other category bristle with awards. Odd.

On this basis I clearly rate my own two blogs since they have, between them, the grand sum of zero awards. On the whole I'm content since I have no great desire to be told that I cheered someone up or made them smile or have become their best mate. (Please don't ruin my day by giving me one now).

Well this reciprocal festooning with awards leads to the first, rather uncharitable, association - mutual masturbation.

Now I have led a chaste life and have never indulged in same-sex mutual masturbation (you will notice that some qualification is needed). On the other hand I did go to a boarding school and was able to observe the impact of pubescence on certain individuals. And, yes, a certain amount of masturbation did take place. If any was of the mutual variety, then I am happy to say that I did not witness it. The solitary was handled quite well however, and before you say it, the pun was unintentional. (A psychologist writes: "puns are never unintentional". To which I respond "just who the eff asked you?").

Back to the point (yes, yes, still unintentional). Rather than masturbation being furtive and embarrassing, a system seems to have evolved such that after 'lights out' those who were thus inclined would engage in masturbatory races, the winner announcing the fact to the assembly. I must stress that this was still rather chaste - no sharing of beds or anything like that, and all under cover of darkness.

Now where was I during all of this? Fortunately I was a year younger than my contemporaries, the consequence of asynchronous educational systems in India and South Africa, and I was not early off the pubescent blocks. Thus I was able to lie in the darkness wondering quite what all the fuss was about.

Which association brings me to my friend Stanley Maloney. Stanley was not intellectually gifted, so he was a year older than most of us, and thus two years older than me. However what God had taken with one hand he had given with the other; Stanley was exceptionally well endowed, the lot topped with enviable quantities of pubic hair. It will not surprise you to learn that he was a frequent winner in those nocturnal races.

Stanley was a good chap to be friends with. He was very strong, and had a quick temper, and for some reason chose to be my protector. He wore a ring which took the form of a skull with two prominent ruby eyes. He told us that it was useful in fist fights. No one rushed to find out if this was true.



So to holiday. Stanley asked if I would like to spend the summer holiday with him. Well, yes, delighted. He lived on the South Coast, a wonderful stretch of South African coastline south of Durban, in a village called Amanzimtoti. My grandmother, who was in charge of me when I was not at school, agreed, and I was sent packing with a fiver.

If someone asked me to describe the holiday in one word, the word would be "formative". The list goes something like this:

- learnt to smoke (unlearnt it as soon as I left, mind)
- had my first french kiss. Boy was that a surprise. My first thought was to say "excuse me, but somehow your tongue has slipped and become lodged in my mouth", but her enthusiasm robbed me of the power of speech. Up to then my model for kissing was provided by Hollywood movies, where the hero and heroine would press their faces together and lips were definitely tightly sealed
- went to my first revivalist meeting, in a big tent. After a Church of England upbringing, this was, if you will pardon the expression, a revelation
- discovered that you could lick the sides of railway trucks transporting molasses and get a sweet taste for free
- was offered a shag in a small tent. It would have been my first - well, for God's sake, I was only 12. She was even younger than I was, poor soul. I fled
- bobbed about in the ocean on a tractor inner tube, in an area notorious for rip tides and shark attacks
- set out folding wooden chairs in the local movie house so we could watch the film for free. I can remember it still, called "Dive, dive, dive", about submarine warfare
- made lots of money, or it felt like it, by collecting discarded bottles and returning them for the deposit money
- taken by Stanley to the ring shop so I too could buy a skull with red eyes

One of my uncles arrived mid-way through the holiday to check up on me (he lived in Durban, so not a long drive). Years later he described his alarm and consternation at the circumstances in which he found me, and the total lack of supervision of our activities. Turns out I was staying with dysfunctional and impoverished white trash.

Ah, the innocence of youth. If the circumstances of the Maloney family were unfortunate, then I was unaware of it. On the contrary, I remember the holiday as blissful, at a time when a little bliss went a long way.

So Stanley, wherever you are, you did cheer me up and you did make me smile, and this is for you.

29 comments:

Janelle said...

heh heh fantastic! can picture it. where was it? somewhere like Amanzimtoti? fondly referred to as Toti. roff ek se. those berea boys. and LAUGHED very hard at your first kiss...because well, i KNOW! all that spit!? heh heh. sis! great earnest stuff. hah. xxx j (summery)

Janelle said...

oh. and thank god for uncles hey? saved your bacon, i reckon. x j

Akelamalu said...

Your holiday with Stanley sounds like an initiation ceremony. You sure learned a lot. :)

As I have numerous blog awards I suppose my blog is not one of your favourites! I will be sure not to pass any on to you. ;)

John said...

janelle - indeed Amamzimtoti. THat kiss ... how it all changes, and how fast!

akelamalu - I *knew* I would get into trouble and I did! I'm quite interested in the award thing, though, and perhaps the fairest conclusion I can reach is that there is no correlation, negative or positive. It seems to me that there is a kind of momentum thing, and past a certain stage folks start getting awards because they keep getting awards. Because I'm such a sour old bugger, the thing I guess that doesn't appeal is the 'you gave me one and now I'll give you one' aspect of it. But hey, sour grapes or what!!

tam said...

hmmm. I also like a lot of undecorated blogs, but I think my problem with them is just the visual clutter - they can make a page look far too busy.

I love this post. You wouldn't recognise Amanzimtoti now, i reckon.
it made me think of Lyall Watson's book, Elephantoms, have you read it? Talking of initiations...

Lulu LaBonne said...

That's a really interesting post Ernest and a subject that I have thought about a lot (and the masturbation thing a bit too). Children are far too supervised now - robbing them of all those 'formative' experiences. They're worse off for it. I'll never forget my first french kiss either. I wonder what the French call it - un bisous anglais?

Working Mum said...

Hmmmm, think I may remove some of my awards........

Your post about Stanley reminded me of the song from South Pacific "You have to be carefully taught". Children are so beautifully lacking in prejudices, why do they acquire them?

Baino said...

Fantastic! I used to have holidays like that on a dairy farm about 3 hours out of Sydney. We did whatever we liked by and large and my partner in crime is still a friend although I see her rarely. Good formative stuff I say, in times when ignorance of circumstance is bliss. As for awards, I'm not a bestower of same myself but it is nice to be appreciated occasionally so I put them up if anyone's nice enough to send them.

Miranda said...

heh heh, great post. Yes my fist snog was dis-GUS-ting.

John said...

tam - hi, haven't read Watson's book, must look out for it. And yes, I'm sure the South Coast must look very different now

lulu - yes, french this and frech that. Seems like we blame most of our sex on the french. I'm sure they're happy to accept our homage

wm - it's true. I was absolutely blind to any negative elements of the circumstances I was in. And please don't remove your awards. See remark below


baino - great to have some freedom when you're a kid. In the UK in particular, they are virtual prisoners these days

miranda - when I first heard was sex was all about I was determined to pray for babies. The other was just going to be too horrid

--- all --- I think I'm waving the white flage on the award thing. I've had a scout around and decided that many of the blogs I enjoy *do* have awards, so there.

I guess what I find interesting and paradoxical is the good blogs that attract no awards - I mean, have a look at the award virgins above who have top blogs and no awards: janelle, tam, lulu, miranda.

The phenomenon I don't like (but listen, this is just grouchy old me) is the kind of mutual masturbation thing; warm and sloppy co-bestoying of awards 'cos hey you gave me a nice feeling so I'm going to give you (and 6 other people) one. Awards should mean something. Which I guess even this kind do; a kind of cyber-visting and sharing a cup of coffee.

Millennium Housewife said...

Ok, I'm removing all awards from my blog, do I scale the blog evolutionary ladder more quickly that way, or do you think it's more subtle?

John said...

mh - now, now, don't make me grovel. I rate your blog highly; indeed it was one I visited to draw the conclusion that the correlation was not necessarily an inverse one. So there.

Akelamalu said...

Ernest I did not take offence at your comment at all, if you look closely there is a ;)(wink) after my comment. The written word doesn't always say what we mean does it, hence the emocions. :)

Nota Bene said...

What an excellent film this would make...I suggest a young Jude Law to star

John said...

akelamalu - hi there, I did see the wink, so I knew you weren't really gunning for me, but thanks for the reassureance all the same

nb - how kind you are; first time anyone suggested any part of my life would be film-worthy

auntiegwen said...

I have been given awards but never show them (due to a huge dose of can't be arsedness which pervades my life)

I read lots of blogs but don't really notice the awards too much, I suppose, as most people have them.

I have a friend called Melanie, who's doing for me now, what Stanley did for you. That would be an intriguing pairing.

Milla said...

Oh, God, a bristler writing here, blush. You're too good, and a bit stern, to insult with ickle pics of puppies clutching hearts. Or, as you say, sour old bugger. Just like my dear husband in fact, in terms of quality, and bare blog walls. I have handed them on 2x, otherwise spend greedy selfish hours plastering my own walls and feel it's time well spent. But some of us are vaguely ironic about it, mine are called blog bling for instance. God, I bet you'd never started this. And *I* haven't succumbed to word verification, nah nah ni nah nah, which is SO annoying, mainly because I always get delivered such unreadable combinations. Frankly if bots want to comment, bring them on, I'm not proud.

John said...

auntiegwen - "due to a huge dose of can't be arsedness which pervades my life" ... love it!

PS not sure if you have been here or not (for I do recognise you); if not, then welcome.

milla - oh dear, slightly affeared in case I rile you. I like 'blog bling'. Also seek solace in the thought that the erudite edward is currently free of same.

Annie Wan said...

would you like a kick-ass blogger award? this strikes me as quite a kick ass post. i'm having second thoughts about my little son going to winch college as a boarder now, although if that's the worst that happens in dorms, well maybe.

Janelle said...

jeez you only got kakked on eh?? 20 COMMENTS!? jassis skattie!! bliksom record, hey...hooah. xx

auntiegwen said...

Thank you for the welcome, I am indeed a new visitor but you may well have seen my picture as due to The Black Box, I have become of late, a tarty commenter, and have put myself about a bit, in the nicest possible way, obv...

John said...

janelle - yurrah yeesis hekseh. Kacked well and truly.


auntieqwen - putting yourself about can only be interpreted as generosity, surely?

Georgina said...

Aaaagh - but I think deep down there's a man who realy craves an award. I have therefore decided to award you my own personal 'Golden GOWA*' (First Class, with bar) - for meritorious contributions to onanism.

(*Grumpy Old Wanker Award).

You can collect it the Lehner blogsite !). p.s. I'm convinced those really are your new stairs - ho ho ho..... Bon journee,

bob

John said...

bob - how wonderful. I am in raptures. But I must refuse. Full reasons given in a comment on your blog. But bless you anyway.

Tim Atkinson said...

'Hands on desks!' was a regular (and necessary) command when I taught at an all boys school. Until then I hadn't realised my lessons were so boring! (Are you sure you don't want an award?)

John said...

the dotterel - hello! I'm sure your lessons weren't boring, just little boys can't seem to keep their hands off their willies as every despairing parent of a male toddler knows.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that in Victorian (or perhaps much more recent establishments) boys were required to sleep with their arms at their sides *outside* the covers. Must have been fun in winter.

And I'm sure, ta all the same.

Unknown said...

Ha, I like my string of colourful awards that clutter up my sidebar :-)

It's interesting, the awards thing always makes for interesting debate - those for it, those against it. I've discovered the best thing to do is take none of it too seriously.

Of course the negative side of the argument says that the blogosphere is gloriously full of mutual masturbation, in part, its what makes it work (and sometimes not work!), sychophancy is a common complaint. Yet, on the flipside, the sphere is equally full of those who just want to say thank you, or I enjoy what you do and do so in good fun and camaraderie.
I honestly don't mind how it's done, it's just not that big an issue.

And by the way, I though Stanley made for a great story - how about the Stanley Diaries...? :-) I wonder if he knew he was a legend in his own lifetime.

John said...

av- thanks for your thoughtful contribution. I think awards are interesting, but subtle. You're right; they do tell you something of the dynamics that drive the blogosphere, and there is an element of mutual masturbation - but then you could say that about most social interaction - driven by reciprocal altruism.

I too wonder how Stanley turned out. He was a good mate, but definitely considered to be a bad boy by my elders and betters.

Unknown said...

I think the thing is that the blogosphere is simply a mirror for the real world - with the all the warts and beauty spots... Reciprocal altruism is what drives so much social interaction - as you say - irrespective of where it is.