Tuesday 7 October 2008

Falling in love

I have been inspired to write on this topic after reading a post by mud who is feeling a bit forlorn about the whole bizz.

The post attracted a bunch of comments, as you might expect. And quite a few of them were along the lines of "it just happens, and sometimes when you least expect it". That is endorsed by no less than Helen Fielding, author of Bridget Jones' Diary, which was, perhaps, a tad autobiograhical. I read an article by Fielding describing her long wait for the right man, whom she did eventually find, and thinking to herself afterwards "why was I so anxious?"

Anyway, that had me reflecting on love and thinking about how effing useless psychology is when it comes to these important things. We probably learn more from the language around love. For example we have

- "falling in love" which is suggestive of its involuntary and random nature (as when we fall over an obstacle)
- "love struck" much the same
- "love is blind" which is probably a reference to 'blind eye' but in effect says it is hard to predict
- "love sick" which captures its rather overwhelming visceral effects

The first three support the view that love "just happens", can't be hurried along, and can't be engineered.

So what, and perhaps more important, why is love?

We already like to have sex, a handy side effect of which is reproduction, so love doesn't seem to be a necessary condition for anything. But it's here. How come? Well it's a biological truism that we fall in love because those people who did, in the geological past, had better breeding success than those that did not.

Which is interesting.

Perhaps it has to do with what Desmond Morris called "pair bonding". Pair bonding keeps the breeding couple together for all those years it takes to get offspring from infancy to independence. Falling in love initiates the bond, which is then supported and maintained by lashings of sex over the years. Well, quite, but it's true you know. Nothing in the animal kingdom goes in for bonking as we do.

Anyway, none of this gets me nearer to mud and love, so I'll take my chances and move on to what I think it's all about:

attraction -> approach -> reciprocity -> sex -> love (then lots more sex, but we've been there already)

Or for the more romatically inclined, reverse the last two.

First, attraction. Now this is a real mystery. I think we all know that sudden jolt when you find someone attractive; but could we define what it is? Hard for any one of us I suspect but science does provide some clues.

What makes for a beautiful woman? Apparently an "average" woman. You doubt that? Well take some female faces and crank them through a computer to get the morph average. The result is surprisingly pleasing. This photograph is one I made earlier, morphing just 10 random female faces. It's fun to do, and you can make your own average here. BTW, all this works for male faces too.

Why? Most faces are slightly asymmetrical; the more symmetrical a face is, the more attractive it is judged. Apparently symmetrical faces are advertising hordings that say "I've got good genes, choose me". And the morphing process tends to balance out asymmetries.

Another thing that has men interested is the waist-to-hip ratio. You measure your waist at the narrowest point and your hips at the widest point and get the ratio waist/hips. A ratio of 0.7 seems to be rated universally as the most attractive which is interesting because that is the best predictor of fertility. Apparently Marilyn Monroe had it as does the skinnier Kate Moss.



And so amazingly does the classic Coke bottle; I did some consumer research that showed men find it attractive. Sad buggers.



There is much else; have a look at this article on attraction.

I personally think that attraction is a must. But I have a friend who has been married for 35 years and has grown-up children. He married because their families kind of expected them to. There was really no attraction or love, I don't think.

Next, check that it is reciprocated. It may not be, but that's not the end. I've known people become attracted later, as it were, a kind of catastrophe switch from non-attraction to attraction. I think that sex itself can cause this to happen, but don't do it just because I said so.

If the attraction is mutual you are kind of home and dry. If not, it's uphill work, and in the end unrewarding.

Well, I say home and dry, but that's not quite true. The suggestion is that the more alike the two of you are in background, social standing, education, economics and even genetics, the more likely the relationship is to succeed (boring, but there you go).

Based on my own experience I would say that if it turns out your love is not reciprocated, cut and run no matter how attractive you find them. You may be unhappy now, but boy are you going to be unhappy later if you don't.

Anyway, I think this is why people say well it just comes along, you don't know when, then bam etc etc. The whole attraction thing is very statistical (symmetry and various ratios notwithstanding).

So for two people to get the hots for each other at the same time is just improbable - though completely possible. It just takes time. If you think it is happening, then go for it, and be prepared to make the running.

Postscript: This post was much harder to write than I thought. And a whole lot less useful. But it's late and I'm off to bed.

15 comments:

Lulu LaBonne said...

Hi ernest, I always find it interesting to see how other cultures view this pair-bonding thing - marriages arranged by the family or village elders with none of that ephemeral 'love nonsense'. Also interesting to note how easily (and often) some people fall in love.

and: I pursued my husband too - it's a good tactic.

And finally:
We are completely outdone in the sexual activity stakes by the bonobo

Tim Atkinson said...

Fascinating take on the age-old subject, Ernest. Personally I've never found anything quite as resonant on the subject of love as that passage in Louis de Bernieres (p281 Captain Correlli's Mandolin - I've just found it on the shelf), which sort of sums up what you've said I think. Maybe mud should read it?

Anonymous said...

If (and maybe when) it happens - I'll be sure to let you know!

Georgina said...

Yes, human pair bonding is fascinating and as ever goes back to our evolutionary origins. As you say the problem with our species is the prolonged time off-spring are dependant on the parents(usually mother). Mrs Caveman was therefore in need of a long-term mate/companion to provide food/shelter and other valuable commodities whilst she tended to the kids. Mr Caveman, who was a randy brute, preferred on the other hand to be off impregnating lots of other cave-ladies. Mrs C. then cleverly developed the very unusual trait compared to all other mammals (except perhaps Bonobo chimps) of becoming sexually available at all times and not just when potentially fertile. Mr C. decided it was easier to stay at home and get his oats on demand, rather than expending time and energy competing with the guys for the other cave-gals - and so evolved recreational sex and the 'nuclear family'.

Also interesting your observation that people tend to pair up with those from similar socio-economic backgrounds. Not always a good thing - think of the European royal families who were obliged to inter-marry for generations. This diminishing gene pool lead to unpleasant inherited problems like haemophilia (and jug ears). A good out-cross is needed from time to time, leading to 'hybrid vigour' as any animal breeder knows.

This is probably why western men find oriental ladies very attractive and Arabs like blue-eyed northern blondes.

bob

Akelamalu said...

What an interesting post!

The 'average face' was fascinating too.

I actually believe in love at first sight - it happened to me. :)

John said...

lulu - the phenomenon of falling in love easily and often is an interesting one, and male biased I believe? I wonder if you agree. Pursuit, absolutely. Bonobo? Hmmm. Maybe they do outdo us, not convinced.

the dotterel - I've read Correlli, though I can't remember the passage; must track it down and have a refresher.

mud - look forward to the post!

bob - thoughtful and erudite as ever. Agree with it all. There is an interesting hawks and doves parallel in sex. Both faithful and promiscuous males could have successful strategies methinks.

akelamlu - I do so believe in love at first sight too. That's why I have to wear my blinkers!

Baino said...

Fascinating stuff isn't it. I don't actually think I've been 'in love'. Although I too 'machinated' to find Mr Right . . .a man chases a woman until she catches him after all. . .I was happily married, and indeed loved my husband but not that romantic hit you in the face, falling, spiralling blind love. Fortunately our union produced two fairly symmetrical offspring so hopefully their future is assured. I wonder if animals fall in love? Many birds particularly partner for life.

John said...

baino - liked the man chases woman quote which is new to me but has the ring of truth alright.

The varieties of love I find fascinating. In the past I have had a few varieties - all the way from fondness to mad passion. My instinct is that something close to the mad passion end of things is good if reciprocated; but important to recognise that it may be a necessary condition for a happy togetherness, but it is not a sufficient condition.

Animals? I think there is something in that. I'm sure our dog and bitch are genuinely fond of each other, and you get your monogamous species - but genetic studies of same show that their offspring are not *always* those of the two partners!

Unknown said...

Fascinating post, Ernest, I left on a comment on Mud's blog about it just happening - story of a friend of mine.
I'm inclined to think that beyond our basic instincts for pair bonding, there is such a huge cultural overlay that inclines us to expect certain things which are not necessarily relevant to the whole business. Beyond the initial physical response, I'd rate mutual trust, respect and unconditional love a lot more highly than the original pheromone induced haze of passion but perhaps that's because I've never been big on the reproductive side of the whole business - I think it's vastly overrated.

John said...

hi av, I looked at your comment on mud's site - what an interesting and reassuring story.

On reproduction, point taken. However, I think our behaviour is shaped by our propensity to reproduce, whether you actually choose to or not, if you see what I mean.

claires inner world said...

Hi Ernest,

Thought-provoking as usual! As well as the factors that bring people together, there's also those conspiring against life-long relationships, such as the fact that we are all living a lot longer, and have a significant part of our lives left to run, after the kids have left home...

Also, how does western culture, which is all about the cult of the individual, aid or hinder the formation and strength of life-long bonding?

Cx

Lars Shalom said...

heres some more, about , love

John said...

hi claire - I don't think that individualism and pair bonding are contradictory. Individuals fall in love and want to stay with that person because it is right for them - so you get individual satisfaction through being paired up, if you see what I mean.

rabbi - had a look at your sites. Very different.

Millennium Housewife said...

I just write an absolute epic Earnest and my computer failed. as soon as my poor old fingers can manage it I'll write again. Just remind me, it was about Gary Zukov and Swallows... MH

John said...

mh - how intriguing; I hope you will.